For some unknown reason I decided to make ice cream! I really don’t know what possessed me as you can buy perfectly delicious ice cream so there is really no need to make your own but…anyway I did and it turned out ok actually better than ok, it was seriously delicious.
300ml thick cream
1 vanilla bean, split
6 egg yolks
175g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Add to my Shopping List
1. Place the cream and milk in a saucepan. Scrape in the vanilla seeds and add the bean, too. Bring to the boil, then turn off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse.
2. Place the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until pale. Carefully pour the milk over, and then return to a clean saucepan.
3. Cook over low heat, stirring, for about five minutes until it is slightly thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon. (This simple custard forms the basis of a classic ice-cream recipe.)
4. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Place custard in a plastic container in the freezer until frozen at the edges. Remove from freezer. Beat with an electric beater. Re-freeze.
6. Repeat this process two more times.
Be warned this ice cream is very sweet,
*This recipe was adapted from here